Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian - Joy's Thoughts

Author: Sherman Alexie
Genre: YA Fiction
Published: 2007
Personal Rating: 3/5




The main character, Arnold Spirit aka Junior, is a high school freshman and lives with his poor family on a reservation. Junior's experiences with other kids and adults alike, are not pleasant - to say the least. After a particular incident, Junior makes the decision to transfer from the reservation high school to the rich, all white high school well outside the reservation. His transfer helps him see the world in a different light.

This is another book that has left me with somewhat of a blah feeling and it is not the lack of writing skills by the author. The storyline flowed and the descriptive writing allowed me to understand Junior, but in general, it just wasn't an enjoyable read. I'm not even so sure that Native Americans will appreciate how this book represents them. While girls may enjoy this, I think boys would wallow in its supposed humor.



*Since writing the above, I have discovered that the author has based this book upon his own life. That does put a different spin on my thoughts, but I will leave my rating as is.

No comments: