Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon

Description


The book jacket describes this book as "At once a gripping whodunit, a love story, an homage to 1940s noir and an exploration of the mysteries of exile and redemption." The book may be all those things to some people, but I had a very hard time getting involved in it. The storyline is interesting, but the book is filled with Yiddish phrases and unfamiliar names. I spent most of my time trying to use context clues to figure out what the words meant and trying to remember who each character was. Because the character names were unfamiliar to me, they didn't keep a solid hold in my mind. The writing is very good and certain ideas and phrases were appealing, but overall, I did not really enjoy reading this book. I would rate it a 2.5 out of 5.0

Full review here:

No comments: