Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The Reluctant Fundamentalist

Mohsin Hamid
184 pages

A Pakistani man named Changez comes to the US to attend college. He ends up graduating at the top of his class at Princeton and wins a much coveted job at a valuation firm. After graduation, he meets and falls in love with Erica who is a fellow Princeton graduate with an emotionally unstable history. Changez stands out at his firm and is adjusting to live in New York and he is taking baby steps in his relationship with Erica. Then the events of 9/11 unfold and things begin to unravel.

I expected this book to be a difficult read for me because I tend to be very patriotic. It is a very compelling read and that was completely unexpected for me. I actually had a hard time putting it down.

I did find myself getting angry at some of the points made but I also found myself trying to understand from Changez' point of view. Ultimately, I had to agree with some of the points despite the fact that I find them uncomfortable. (4/5)

No comments: