This is my first exposure to a Book Challenge. I am thrilled to get started! Here is a copy of my challenge list that I originally posted on my blog.
Apparently there is a blogging/reading subculture revolving around reading challenges. These blogs are characterized by participants entering many challenges at once and endeavoring to read more books than any reasonable individual would deem healthy. In other words.. count me in!
The particular challenge that caught my eye is the Notable Books Challenge hosted by Wendy. Last year this contest revolved around the New York Times notable books, but has been expanded to include other sources. In the interest of not becoming a completely degenerate bookworm, I will limited myself to the 2007 NYT list. The books I am penciling into my schedule are as follows:
1. The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz
2. Then We Came to an End by Joshua Ferris
3. Falling Man by Don DeLillo
4. Out Stealing Horses by Per Patterson
5. The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon
6. Exit Ghost by Philip Roth
7. The Nine: Inside the Secret World of the Supreme Court by Jeffrey Toobin
and either all or some or none of the following:
8. The Abstinence Teacher by Tom Perotta
9. Bridge of Sighs by Richard Russo
10. What is What by David Eggers
The titles are arranged in the order of likelihood that I will read them. The Nine.. was added to include a nonfiction title. Philip Roth's novel would be higher on my list, but I have been trying to read this pseudo-series in chronological order. Perhaps I can make an exception for the challenge. I made add or remove a couple selections based on reviews that all the other participants submit. Looking forward to see what everyone thinks of these and all the other notable books of '07.